The predecessor of the warrant officer was the Army Field Clerk and the Field Clerk, QMC, both authorized by Act of Congress in August 1916. Special Regulation 41 dated December 19, 1917 stated: ďArmy Field Clerks and Field Clerks, Quartermaster Corps, will wear the same uniforms as officers, omitting all insignia of rank and the brown braid on the cuff of the service coat. Cord for service hat to be of silver and black silk intermixed.
The Army Field Clerks and the Field Clerks, QMC, were officially designated as warrant officers as a result of Act of Congress, June 4, 1920 and implemented in War Department Bulletin 25 dated June 9, 1920.
Congress created two grades of warrant officer on August 21, 1941. On September 4, 1942, Change 1 to AR 600-35 authorized the insignia of grade for warrant officers other than Army Mine Planter Service.
May 9, 1947, the War Department announced it was seeking legislation to authorize four grades of warrant officers in the Army. The insignia were gold with brown enamel. On August 17, 1954, the Assistant Secretary of Defense advised the Assistant Secretary of the Army that the other military services concurred in new proposed designs. The new designs authorized by AR 670-5 dated September 20, 1956.
In order to improve the warrant officer insignia of grade to make it easier to identify the grade, new insignia was approved by the Chief of Staff Army on June 10, 1970 with an effective date for wear of July 1, 1972.
Our Regulation Chief Warrant Officer 2 Rank Insignia is a silver plated metal badge. Rank Insignia sold in pairs. This is the same badge that is supplied to the U.S. Military and sold in the U.S. Military Base Exchanges.